Amazon Affiliate Program Reviewed
The Amazon affiliate program has a long and interesting history. On this page we’ll examine the origin, evolution, payouts, benefits and drawbacks of this popular marketing program. Here, you’ll find everything you need to know about the Amazon Affiliate Program.
The Amazon affiliate program is an absolutely huge. Amazon’s valuation topped an amazing trillion dollars in July of 2019 making them the most valuable company in the world. Even larger than the only other trillion dollar company: Apple. Amazon’s net income more than tripled from $3 billion in 2017 to over $10 billion in 2018
Amazon is the largest online retailer in the world by a long shot. This type of scale makes the Amazon affiliate program attractive to small businesses and marketers, and makes Amazon associates and each Amazon affiliate part of a global marketplace.
The Amazon affiliate program is an easy way to create passive income online from the comfort of your own home. You’ll learn everything you need to know on this page including a step-by-step guide on how to become an Amazon Affiliate.
What Is The Amazon Affiliate Program?
The Amazon affiliate program, called Amazon Associates, is one of the largest affiliate programs on the planet. It allows website owners (publishers) the ability to monetize the traffic to their websites.
The program is free to join and simple to use. As an associate, you’ll be able to earn commissions when one of your website visitors clicks on your links and completes a purchase on the Amazon platform. You will be able to earn advertising fees from qualifying purchases, along with the products that you advertised.
History Of The Amazon Affiliate Program
Amazon was the first company to make an affiliate marketing program available to the general public. Amazingly, it was launched way back in 1996 which was when the internet was just gaining traction.
At the time, Amazon only sold books, movies and music. Imagine that.
The affiliate model was so new then that Amazon paid their affiliates with checks that were mailed out. Their model of affiliate marketing opened the doors to other affiliate companies who jumped into the market once they realized the potential of this untouched market segment. The idea of affiliate networks and internet-based payment methods happened a few years later with the creation of Commission Junction (now CJ.com).
Amazon Affiliate Program Highlights
- Earn commissions up to 10% in several popular categories
- Easy to join and free to get started
- A huge selection of products that you can make commissions on
- One of the most trusted store platforms in the world
- A resource center for affiliates to learn how to make more money with Amazon (tips and training for both beginners and advanced affiliates)
How To Become An Amazon Affiliate
Step 1: Sign in or sign up to Amazon
Step 2: Enter you personal information to get paid
Step 3: Complete the Profile section of the application:
Step 4: Start using Associates Central
Amazon affiliate commission rates range from 1-10% of the item’s selling price. The percentages are determined by the category the item is listed under on Amazon.
Here is how it all breaks down:
Pros & Cons Of The Amazon Affiliate Program
- Excellent Creatives: The Site Stripe toolbar allows you to easily add links and for a quick view of your earnings. You’ll also get banners, images, product links, product advertising API and other cool tools
- Complete Reporting Tools: That detail your orders, earnings, referrals, payment history, daily trends and more
- Enormous Product Selection: Amazon has literally millions of products to choose from
- Stellar Reputation: Amazon is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. People love the selection and convenience of shopping online on their website
- Amazon Affiliate Resource Center: This is a really great feature. Here you’ll find in-depth tutorials, articles and tips created by members of both the Amazon Associates community and the Amazon Associates team. The Resource Center will help you make more money on your website or blog, improve its visibility and provide tips on using some of the great tools available on Associates Central.
- Low Commission Payouts: Compared to other high paying affiliate programs and networks on this website
- Short 24 Hour Cookie: You only get a 24-hour window to earn a commission for the products your website visitors purchase
Amazon’s Affiliate Program Summary
Amazon Associates Program
Commissions: Volume-based ranging typically from 1%-8% (up to 10%) depending upon category/type/market
Cookies: 24 hours
Product Selection: Literally millions of products to choose from
Audience: 11 different international storefronts: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Spain, United Kingdom & United States
Affiliate Program Management: In-house
Amazon Affiliate Program Conclusion:
Despite the relativity low commission rate. Amazon Associates offers a great way to earn passive income online by selling high demand products that people love to buy.
My own preference is to sell big-ticket, high commission products and services online. After all, that’s what this website is all about.
But if you’re just getting started, Amazon’s affiliate program is a great way to learn the affiliate marketing business while you earn a nice passive income.
Amazon Affiliate Program Q&A:Can you make money with Amazon affiliate program?
The simple answer is: yes, you can. It’s not only a legitimate program, but considered one of the most reputable affiliate programs in the industry. The Amazon Affiliate program model is quite simple. You refer others to Amazon.com from your website and/or affiliate links and if they make a purchase – you earn a commission. Simple as that. There is no customer service, product fulfillment or shipping involved on your part. Amazon does all of that for you.
How do I become an Amazon affiliate?
Visit Amazon.com and go to the Amazon Affiliate link at the bottom of the page. Click the Join Now link on the left side of the page right around the page ‘fold’. From there, sign in or sign up for your Amazon account, then complete the application.
How much does an Amazon affiliate make?
The amount of money each Amazon Affiliate marketer makes varies. There is no limit to the amount of money you can make with the Amazon affiliate program. The majority of Amazon associates put minimal effort into the program and make from nothing to a few hundred dollars per month. Other marketers work the program on a full time basis and earn several hundred to thousands of dollars per month. There are even some ‘super-affiliates’ who get wealthy using the Amazon Affiliate program.
Can you be an Amazon affiliate without a website?
Yes, you can. You can sell as an Amazon Associate using several alternative methods including email marketing, video marketing (i.e. YouTube), and app marketing. But you must do your due diligence first and read all of the Amazon Affiliate programs rules, regulations and guidelines to make sure your desired marketing method is allowed and you are in compliance. Next, reach out to Amazon Associates personally and ask them if your chosen method is allowed before you get started. It’s better to be sure in advance than to get your account frozen or closed.
Table of Contents
- 1 Amazon Affiliate Program Reviewed