Domain Flipping Is Big Business
One of my favorite income streams comes from flipping domains. It’s arguably the easiest money you’ll ever make as long as you have a little creativity, do solid research, and have a knack for predicting future products and markets.
Have a look at the 10 most expensive domain names ever sold:
- Insurance.com $35.6 million in 2010
- VacationRentals.com $35 million in 2007
- PrivateJet.com $30.18 million in 2012
- Sex.com for $14 million in late 2014
- Internet.com $18 million in 2009
- 360.com $17 million in 2015
- Insure.com $16 million in 2009
- Hotels.com $11 million in 2001
- Fund.com £9.99 million in 2008
- Porn.com $9.5 million in 2007
That’s some big money but I know what you’re thinking… ‘that’s cool but all those premium one and two word domain names have been gonzo for decades now and I have no chance to get one myself’. It’s true that domains that sell for millions are mostly short, generic words that describe lucrative internet-based businesses.
But consider these domain names that have recently sold*
- Goliath.com $60,000 1 month ago
- Consules.com $50,000 1 month ago
- Suvs.com $30,000 1 month ago
- BuyShares.com $15,900 1 month ago
- BlowDryer.com $8,400 1 month ago
- TopTenVideos.com $7,888 2 months ago
- Refer.ly $4,900 1 month ago
- UsedGadgets.com $2,600 1 month ago
- MMAEvents.com $1,751 1 month ago
- ArtWork.info $1,600 4 days ago
Domain names similar to the set above are completely findable today if you put some good research into locating them. Imagine selling just one or two of these each month on top of your existing affiliate income and other revenue streams you may have.
In fact you don’t even have to sell a domain to make money on one. These days domain leasing is a highly-sought-after arrangement that can pay you ongoing commissions for really doing nothing but loaning your domains out for a while.
It’s not all about looking for existing keyword combinations either. Take the drone market for example. Prior to military drones taking flight (not that long ago) nearly every domain name with the word ‘drone’ in it was available. Creative marketers who saw the potential for commercial drone applications were quick to pounce on available domain names such as ‘deliverydrones.com’ and ‘surveydrones.com’. I know because I was able to secure and sell ‘bestdronesforsale.com’ for a handsome profit.
I’m not going to do a full tutorial on this post about how to locate domain names that sell but I did write a post about one technique on how to find killer domains names here.
Where To Sell And Buy Domains
There are several good domain aftermarkets on the interwebs in which to buy and sell domains including sedo.com, aftermarket.com, and even auctions.godaddy.com but my favorite is by far Flippa.com.
Flippa is the entrepreneur’s marketplace.
Flippa is the world’s number one marketplace for buying and selling websites, domains and apps.
Buyers love Flippa due to the extensive inventory to suit a range of investors. In fact more than 1,000 new businesses are listed for sale on Flippa every single day. As the first and leading marketplace for entrepreneurs, they’ve built a buying experience that is second to none, it’s simple and secure.
Sellers use Flippa due to it having the highest sales rate in the industry—primarily due to the massive size and quality of the Flippa buyer audience. Every month on Flippa over $2m of businesses are sold.
Want some numbers stat-guys?
- Over 600,000 users have registered to buy or sell on Flippa
- A bid is placed on a Flippa auction every minute
- More than 2,500 buyers and sellers are online every minute of the day
- In the last 12 months 300,000 bids were placed and nearly 23,000 business were sold on Flippa!
- Alexa puts Flippa in the top 1,000 sites worldwide
Go check out Flippa.com right now and get in the game!
P.S. If you would like me to put together a tutorial on finding good domains just let me know by commenting below. Thanks!
Thanks for your feedback here is the tutorial I promised on finding good domain names.