How To Launch An Affiliate Marketing Website
It’s the classic desire of generating passive income and generating profits online from the comfort of your own home. Ultimately, affiliate marketing is a special but very simple & formulaic method of advertising placement.
The main idea is recommending matching products to your audience. The readers of a website are directed to an online store or a sales page via an affiliate link. If you buy the product there within a certain time frame, the website that originally provided the visitor receives a commission. As a rule, the purchase price for the customer does not change as a result.
In principle, however, every small online entrepreneur can also set up an affiliate program for his own products or services and thus market his offers through partners.
The business challenge of affiliate marketing is generating enough traffic and sales through the affiliate links to generate a substantial revenue stream. In addition, it is important to present the links thematically fitting and embedded in high-quality content. After all, well-made affiliate marketing should also bring an advantage to the reader and not simply spill it on with irrelevant and too frequent product recommendations. Many websites use affiliate marketing only as one of several income streams. Because in order to achieve a significant turnover with it, a lot of traffic and content is needed.
What’s Behind This Model?
Each affiliate receives an individual link that leads to the seller’s product page. A potential customer calls up the product page or shop via this link, this is how a cookie is set in his browser. With the help of them, the site can recognize in an actual sale, which affiliate has placed him.
The cookies differ in their lifespan: on Amazon, for example, the cookie is valid for 24 hours. Thus, all purchases will be considered within 24 hours after calling the link. On overage, the cookie lifetime is between 30 and 90 days.
In addition, the principle of “the last cookie wins” usually applies — so if several affiliates advertise the same product, only the one with the last click before the purchaser receives the commission.
So, Let’s Begin
Here you’ll find recommendations for appropriate themes, important plugins for affiliates and some time-saving tips about affiliate marketing on the WordPress platfrom.
But first, we should take care of some basics.
Before you even think about how to implement your affiliate website, you should have completed some preliminary work. So, it’s very important that you have already picked a topic that meets three important requirements:
- Search Volume: You need to have a large enough audience searching Google for your topic. With a tool like the Google AdWords Keyword Planner, you can analyze individual terms. The more searches that are displayed in the month, the better. But it should be at least 3,000.
- Competition: Competition is good since it means there are other people already earning money in that space. But try to avoid a topic so broad that you’ll have a hard time getting found.
- Monetization: Of course, the third important factor is the ability to make money in that space.
Are these all necessary requirements for a successful affiliate website? Yes.
However, it’s also important to:
- have a passion for your chosen topic
- enjoy writing articles and discussing your topic
- have some technical or unique understanding of your topic
If all these factors exist, you can start building the site. I can walk you through the process from A-Z with my free affiliate marketing guide for beginners from this very site. It’s set up as a 7 day mini-course to teach you the basics and everything you need to get started in affiliate marketing.
Step 1. Choose Your Blog’s Niche Topic
Here are some hot topics for affiliate marketing websites in 2019 from Webcreate.me:
What Types Of Sites Are The Most Popular?
People surf the web primarily for two things:
- Solving a problem or learning more about a topic
- Have fun and being entertained
More or less (of course).
When you start creating websites for affiliate programs, you need either entertain visitors or solve their problems. And you want to do a good enough job that they will bookmark your site and come back. The combination of entertainment and problem-solving, if done right, works well too.
Step 2. Choose A Website Builder
According to this article: Best Website Builders For Affiliate Marketing, the best 4 website builders are:
I recommend WordPress, Why?
- It’s free
- It’s simple and easy to install
- There are no complicated settings
- You can use free themes and templates
- You’ll get many free extensions that increase the functionality of your site
- Strong SEO (search engine optimization) generation to get your site found
- Automatically updated because developers are constantly making changes to their security and function
Before you start with the installation of WordPress, you’ll need to pick a suitable domain name.
Most hosting companies offer one-click installation, which is a big time saver. After installation, you should make a few settings changes that are important. You can follow this 5-minute installation instruction.
Step 3. Pick A Type Of Affiliate Website
There are different ways to earn money as an affiliate and that will determine your format. Here are some common ones:
Offers: These affiliates focus on current offers and bargains. This means that mostly short news articles need to be published here, which makes this kind of affiliate website look like a news blog. So here are hardly any additional plugins necessary.
Vouchers: Voucher Affiliates focus on discount codes, like online stores. For each individual page are created, which rank is well by searching for “coupon for shop XY” in Google.
Product Reviews: My preferred variant is this one. It is an affiliate website with particularized product ideas and helpful background information. The focus here is on the content and the trust that visitors should build through the reviews. With one or the other affiliate plugin, you can strengthen the effect.
Affiliate Shop: This one usually needs shop plugins for WordPress and imports masses of product data from an online shop, in order to then display these on their own website. Usually, there is even a shopping cart, so the affiliate website looks like an online shop.
Comparative Pages: This sort of site depends most importantly on the comparison of items, by which the cost plays a very important role. Use useful plugins to create price comparisons easily.
So, I recommend mixing all those types because everyone does for a better result.
Step 4. Select A WordPress Theme
There are a few special WordPress themes for affiliate marketing that will make your life easier. These themes already have some necessary features for our topic.
When it comes to affiliate sites, a design is especially important. By optimizing your website’s design for high CTR (clickthrough rate), you can maximize your profits. Aspects of design that can be reflected in the CTR, for example, the color of the links, the position, and size of the advertising banner.
If you need a WP theme that looks like an affiliate online store, then you can use this popular theme.
Laraway – SEO & Digital Marketing Agency WordPress Theme
LaraWay is a great theme and it is ideal for creating new affiliate, landing or satellite pages. An affiliate site is about positioning the project on the search engines for lucrative search terms.
This theme includes:
- Cherry Projects
- Clean code
- Live customizer
- Cherry search
- TemplateMonster’s page builder
- Cherry team members
- It’s also SEO-friendly and fully responsive to mobile
Best of all, this theme is a complete solution and you do not need any additional plugins and zero programming skills.
It does not matter if you take your first steps in affiliate marketing or already own many websites. Laraway is your new tool for creating affiliate websites that just work.
For example, I’ve found a few websites from all over the world, which are using this theme already!
- landhausklopein.at — is an Austrian rental agency for country vacations
- alphaad.gr — is a Greek website, that offers marketing services
- inetglobal.es — is a Spanish IT-company
As you see all of them using this theme successfully
Step 5. Install Basic But Indispensable Plugins
The great strength of WordPress lies in my opinion in the many available plugins. With them, you can retrofit countless functions and thus customize your affiliate website very individually. However, this serves no purpose in itself. Below I introduce important basic plugins for WP and then some special plugins for affiliate websites. It’s not a must have to use all of these plugins, but they improve your own affiliate website and increase the chances of making money.
The list of your basic plugins
The following WordPress plugins are actually all installed on my affiliate websites. Of course, I use even more plugins, but these are the most important.
- Yoast SEO: This plugin, which not only makes optimized settings for the entire website but also offers specific optimization tips for each individual article.
- Ultimate Nofollow: Affiliate links are not recommendations that Google normally accepts for set links. Therefore, it makes sense to label all affiliate links as Nofollow. This plugin adds a corresponding option in the link-insert dialog.
- Advanced Ads: There are various banner plugins that make it possible to define banner slots and centrally manage the banners displayed there.
- TablePress: Comparison charts make sense on affiliate websites. With the help of this plugin, you can compare products and build affiliate links.
- Limit Login Attempt: To increase the security of your own WordPress website, use this plugin. It ensures that after a certain number of failed login attempts the relevant IP is blocked for a while. So, it is much harder to crack your blog through mass sign-in attempts.
Recommended Affiliate Plugins
Here are some useful affiliate plugins for WordPress that can generate more revenue.
- WP Product Review: On many affiliate websites products are presented in detail. For this purpose, this plugin provides in the free version very nice product review boxes. The Pro version offers a few additional features, of which I like the automatic comparison table the best.
- Auto Affiliate Links: This plugin allows individual words or phrases to be automatically affiliated with an affiliate link.
- AAWP (Amazon Affiliate for WP): There are many special Amazon plugins for WP. This one gives the creation of very nice Amazon bestseller lists, which can be displayed in the own website.
What Should You Look For In Plugins?
In addition to the recommended WP plugins, there are of course many more that can be quite interesting for an affiliate website. But you should not just install everything without thinking. Not only this makes the website slower, but it also varies greatly in terms of quality and safety. Therefore, one should focus on the following things by choosing a plugin:
- The plugin should be well maintained. In other words, there should be regular updates — especially for new WordPress versions.
- It is usually better if the plugin has been around for some time. It means that it is well tested and actively looked after.
- You should also look at the support forum of the plugin.
- Will the questions of the users be answered? Is there an unusually high amount of reports about problems?
Of course, a look at the reviews in the WordPress plugin directory also helps.
Step 6. Manage, Optimize And Improve Your Content
I also have some handy tips for content.
It’s better to post time-consuming content than just interesting news for a short time. On the one hand, time-consuming tips are better and you have less worries. Of course, this is not possible with the offer of affiliated companies. The news is important.
Show Links Clean
Affiliate marketing stands and falls with links. They are the triggers that set cookies and thus generate revenue when the deal is closed. An important basis for integrating affiliate links is: tease them. Use, for example, Ultimate Nofollow plugin.
If you search ways to mask links, you can find them at Pretty Link. Pretty Link transforms the mostly long and cryptic affiliate links into readable versions. This solution is not only more enjoyable for the user, but it also allows the backend to track every created link.
Search Engine Optimization is an important aspect of partner sites. If no one visits your site, you will not make money, so maximizing traffic is a key task. WordPress is perfectly optimized by default, there are also a number of plugins, for example, the All in One SEO Pack or Yoast’s WordPress SEO plugins. Beginners can install these plugins with standard settings; advanced users may fine-tune the plugins to fit their needs.
An affiliate website based on WordPress offers many benefits and opportunities. Themes and plugins can not only provide more visitors and more appropriate content but also increase revenue. However, you should not overdo it and focus on useful and appropriate content, as they are also an important factor for success for affiliate websites.