How To Start A Blog In 2020
And Make Money With It
- Have you ever wondered how to start your own blog?
- Have you been putting it off because you think it might be too difficult or time-consuming?
- Have you ever dreamed of making money online with your blog?
This beginners guide will cut through all of the clutter and hopefully convince you that it’s easier to create a blog now than ever before. Unlike blog building platforms a decade or so ago when you needed to possess some coding knowledge, today’s blog builders are really easy to use, even if you have no experience and zero technical skills.
In fact, the reason I created this page on my own blog is to help you get started with your blog. As in right now. Today.
You’ve got this.
I will walk you through each step of starting your own blog and even make myself available to you personally to help out if you get stuck.
Table of Contents
Follow this tutorial and you will start a new and fun journey that can open up many new doors for you. And I’ll even show you how to you start earning a nice passive income from your blog without creating any of your own products, store inventory, perform fulfillment, ship anything or do any customer service of any kind.
In the next section I will discuss what a blog is, what it can be used for and why you should blog. If you already know all of these basics, you can skip down to the step-by-step tutorial to start building your blog.
What Is A Blog?
For starters, the word blog is a shortened version of what it really is – a weblog. A blog is a regularly updated website or web page, usually run by an individual or a small group of people, that usually displays information in reverse chronological order, meaning that newer content shows up first on the site.
The purpose of a blog is for the writer or writers to share their views, or the views of others, on an individual topic. On the internet, you can find an almost endless quantity of blogs on just about any subject you can imagine
- Why Should You Blog? Blogs provide you with a nice social outlet and tool that allows you to connect with other people who share your interest in your topic. If you have a business, a blog should be considered an essential part of your overall success strategy.
- How Much Does A Blog Cost To Start? It takes very little money up front to get started.
- Can I Start A Blog For Free? Yes, you can. But there are several reasons why you shouldn’t go the free route.
- How Long Will It Take To Make Money With My New Blog? There is no exact answer to this question, because most of it is up to you.
Start A Blog In Three Simple Steps:
Before you get started, you’ll need to have an idea of what the topic or subject of your blog will be about. This will help you determine a good domain name that will help visitors find you and understand what your blog is about. Oh, and if you get stuck at any point during this one page tutorial, please just contact me and I’ll personally help you out.
Start A Blog: Step #1) Get Your Own Domain And Hosting Account
Click here: Bluehost to get to the new customer discount page and then click on the big green button seen below. (This will open Bluehost in a new tab so you can click back on this tab to continue the step-by-step instructions):
After clicking on the green button, you’ll land on the next page with your plan selections. Since you’re just getting starting all you need is the Basic plan since it the cheapest. You can always upgrade your account later if you need to. Your Basic plan will include everything you need to get started:
- Domain Name
- Email Account For Your New Site
Please note the basic plan is usually billed annually but it will also save you some money instead of paying monthly.
Next, you’ll end up on the domain name page. Choose a good, short, easy-to-spell and relevant domain name for your business. Keep in mind that the best .com names are long gone so get creative or use a .net if you need to. If you need some help please take a few minutes to read this article I wrote on the topic: domain name tips.
If you’re not ready to choose your domain name you can skip this step for now by clicking that option at the bottom of the page.
Oh, and if you already have a domain registered elsewhere, you can have the domain transferred to Bluehost for free and receive an additional year of registration added on to the end of your current term. Cool.
After you select your domain name and hit the NEXT button you’ll go to the account info page here:
- Domain Privacy Protection
- Site Backup Pro
- Search Engine Jumpstart
- SiteLock Security
Pay for your selected package and you’ll be directed to choose your password:
Congratulations; you are all done with Step 1.
Start A Blog: Step #2) Setting Up WordPress
That’s all there is to step 2.
That’s it. Now its time for the final step and where it gets really fun. Creating your website and making it yours.
Start A Blog: Step #3) Start Building Your New Website
I have loaded a video on how to install different WordPress themes and how to start building your website below. There are 10 total videos that will load back to back without you having to do anything but watch. So have at it. Have fun. And let’s make some money together. Please make sure to bookmark this site so you can come back for more tutorials to learn how to generate traffic and start earning passive income.
Selecting Affiliate Website Themes
I’m often asked “which WordPress theme should I be using?” It’s a great question since there are many many thousands to choose from. If you’re just getting started I highly recommend you start with one of many free themes you’ll find on wordpress.org. I don’t see any reason why you need to buy a theme right out of the gate.
What makes WordPress so awesome is that you can switch themes anytime you want and all of your content remains in place. With most themes, you will not need to rearrange any formatting when making a switch.
So What’s Important In The Theme You Choose?
- Choose a WordPress theme that best fits your content and is most appealing to your target audience. Nearly all themes are customizable by color, number of columns, widgets, and other key features so you’ll have plenty of creative space to make it your own and make it stand out
- It’s vital now (in 2015-2016 and beyond) to choose a theme that is responsive. Responsive themes automatically adjust the appearance of your content to fit smaller browsers to ensure your website looks right to each visitor
- Make sure the theme you pick supports “featured images”. A featured image will give your post a nice little thumbnail of that picture (like you’ll see on the right hand side of my home page)
- All WordPress sites on wordpress.org come with user reviews, number of downloads, and theme updates. This info will appear on the right hand side of your screen. Make sure to consider all of these factors when choosing your theme. Pick one that is popular, well liked, and updated frequently
Once you’re ready to buy a paid theme I highly recommend Elegant Themes. I used the Divi Extra theme by Elegant Themes to create this site. Click Here to learn more about Elegant Themes.