Top Email Marketing Tips And Strategies
If you’re here on this site reading this post then it’s likely your goal is to become a successful internet marketer. While some of you are interesting in making a little extra passive income working part-time others want to get wealthy working online as a full-time occupation.
I can tell you from personal experience – both of these goals are achievable without having any prior marketing experience.
But in order to achieve either one or both of these goals you’re going to have to learn and use email marketing. The good news is that email marketing is one of the easiest skills to learn. It’s both the easiest skill and one that brings with it the highest profit return. The fact is the most successful internet marketers make more income from their email list than any other single source. And that includes me.
Even if you’re new to working online it’s better to get started with email marketing early even before you think you’re ready. In fact I’ve had many people tell me that their biggest regret with internet marketing was not building their email list from the very start. Please don’t make the same mistake.
Still not convinced? How about a statistical fact: email marketing delivers a return of 4,300% and is more cost-effective than any other form of marketing. Period.
Best Email Marketing Practices:
Bonus Email Marketing Tips:
- First and foremost, know the rules. Read up and understand the CAN-SPAM laws because the very last thing you want to do is get on the wrong side of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). There are many spammers out there but the majority of people who violate CAN-SPAM are simple marketers who never bothered to learn the rules. Please don’t do that! The rules are pretty straight-forward and even common-sense so go read them before you start emailing your list.
- Make it easy for your audience to subscribe to your list. That means giving them several different opportunities to join your list on your site. Place a signup form on your website in several places, any social media pages you have, and anywhere else your fans, customers, and readers expect to find you.
- Give away something for free (ethical bribe) to entice people to join your list. People love free stuff and this is the perfect opportunity for you to demonstrate your expertise on your topic. It can be as simple as a free report, ebook, or whitepaper on a topic. Summarize a few bullet points on your signup form so they know exactly what they’re getting and how it can help them.
- Give your new subscribers a reason to stay on your list. Tell them that the free content is only the beginning and that you will periodically share much more if they stick around. Provide a way for them to reach out to you personally if they have questions or need help.
- Keep your content on point and develop a reputation as a generous giver before you start asking for anything (feedback, referrals, and sales) in return. If you do this your subscribers will love you. If your topic is broad make sure to use segmentation to divide your list into smaller groups to make sure they’re getting the specific info they’re looking for. For example: mental health -> depression -> anxiety -> panic attacks -> panic attacks in children. Relevancy will increase engagement which is key to your list building success.
- Send information out in regular intervals. You can accomplish this by keeping a simple publishing calendar. Whether it’s emails or a newsletter condition your readers to depend on your regular and periodic communications with them. If you go weeks or months without sending anything to them they will forget about and likely bail on you the moment you come back.
- Pay attention to the quality of your communication. Use spellcheck, proper grammar, and punctuation to keep your messages professional. Sloppy or zero editing dilutes your credibility and is a quick way to lose many of your subscribers.
- Test. Test. Test. Your message may look good on desktop but horrible on mobile devices. Send test emails to generic email addresses that you set up to make sure they look good. Test them on both desktop, pad, and phone devices to make sure they’re formatted correctly and are not being directed to SPAM boxes. Also make sure the links work from each device option.
Here is my full tutorial on email marketing.