What Is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is a broad term for the marketing of products or services using digital technologies and electronic media, mainly on the internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising, and every other digital medium.
Digital marketing has completely changed the way that businesses market their products and services. Every year more and more people embrace the convenience of using digital devices to buy goods and services instead of going to physical shops.
Why Digital Marketing Is So Effective
Digital marketing differs from traditional marketing in that it involves the use of channels and methods that enable an organization to analyze marketing campaigns and analytics to understand what is working and what isn’t – all in real time.
Advantages Of Digital Marketing:
- Targeting – Digital marketing enables marketers to dial in a targeted audience like never before. Online marketing takes full advantage of the information age using specific consumer analytics (age, location, likes, dislikes, political leanings, religious beliefs – just name a few) that allow marketers to find the prospects most likely to buy from them.
- Speed – Digital marketing campaigns can be implemented much faster than traditional forms of advertising. Reaching a highly-targeted audience can occur in mere hours or even minutes. Making changes to or even stopping and starting campaigns can occur with a single click of your mouse.
- Less waste – Online marketing is by far the most cost effective method of marketing available. Campaign budgets can be set to operate automatically to control ad spending.
- Amazing analytics – Digital marketing provides incredibly detailed statistics that are used to maximize efficiency and lower costs. Virtually all elements of an internet marketing campaign can be tracked and tested in some way. Tracking is done in real-time enabling marketers the opportunity to make strategic changes on the fly.
- Pay Per Click Advertising – PPC has been a huge game-changer in the world of advertising. It enables marketers to generate immediate traffic that fuels leads, social shares, and sales for a website. Instead of paying for ad displays, advertisers pay only when a user clicks on their ad. Traffic sources are tracked as well which identifies which ads are achieving the best result in a campaign and allow for fast and simple tweaks to test improvements.
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Good search engine optimization boosts listings in the search engines including Google, Bing and Yahoo leading to free traffic.
Digital Marketing Strategy
Digital marketing strategies include:
- Ad networks
- Ad swaps
- Affiliate marketing
- Email marketing
- Mobile marketing
- Online classified advertising
- Pay per Click (PPC)
- Rich media advertising
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Social Media Advertising (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)
How To Get Started In Digital Marketing
If you want to get into the game I put together a step-by-step 7 plan to do just that. Here
Graph Credit: SmartInsights.com