Digital Marketing Legal Briefs
In the world of digital marketing, it is critical to not only know the current laws and rules, but to keep up on the latest developments that can affect your online business.
“The Internet connects marketers to customers across the country and around the world. If you advertise online, remember the rules and guidelines that protect consumers also help businesses by maintaining the credibility of the Internet as a marketing medium.” – Federal Trade Commission
These days, understanding digital marketing law is not optional. Know it and follow it, or prepare to pay a big price down the road.
As a digital marketer, if you plan on being in business for a long time, I strongly suggest you follow the laws that pertain to online marketing.
Ignorance of those laws is never an excuse if you get caught breaking them.
It’s your obligation and responsibility as a professional marketer to understand and follow the laws set forth.
Since late 2019 to early 2020, the global pandemic has become one of the most important global topics. Here are the latest legal briefs related to COVID-19:
COVID-19 Related Legal Briefs
Social media has been a volatile and highly-politicized topic in recent years.
Most of the issues that reach the courts involve data collection, online privacy, and social influence.
Social Media Digital Marketing Law
Cryptocurrency is a fascinating topic that generates opinions on all sides.
Regardless of how you feel about the future of crypto, I think you’ll agree that it’s gained enough traction now to be here to stay.
Cryptocurrency Legal Briefs
Another contentious issue these days involves your phone.
Everybody hates robocalls and other unsolicited phone messages. Below are recent legal briefs on this topic:
Phone And Robocall Rulings
The legal summaries below are rulings at the state level here in the U.S.
It’s important as a digital marketer to not only know the federal laws, but also your local legislation.
State-Specific Legal Briefs
Everything below is a legal brief dump of all other topics not classified above.
These can range from rulings on individual companies to opinions on entitites such as payment processors and email networks.
Miscellaneous FTC Legal Briefs
- Autorenewal Schemes
- FTC Rules Against Photo Storage App
- FTC Enforcement Update
- More FTC And FCC Warning Letters
- Privacy Law Alert
- FTC On Disgorgement Authority
- Williams-Sonoma Settles With FTC
- Another Data Hack Settlement
- FTC Drops Hammer On MLM Operator
- FTC Tackles Truly Organic
- FTC Approves Settlements
- FTC Seeks Comments On COPPA
- Data Security Compliance Enforcement
- FTC Disgorgement Ruling
- Copyrights Must Be Registered
- FTC Reminds Marketers About Obligations
- Non-Compete And Anti-Poaching Agreements
- Internet Marketing Alert
- Marketer Settles FTC Allegations
- FTC Crosses The Border
- President Involved With Alleged MLM Program
- FTC Retains CAN-SPAM Act
- Significant Ninth Circuit TCPA Ruling
- TCPA Defense Attorney Ruling
- FTC CID Lawyer Alert
- Consumer Protection Vs Competition
- Beware Of Deceptive Privacy Statements
- FTC Public Hearings Begin This Week
- TCPA Consent Held Irrevocable
- Web-Based SMS Platform Not An ATDS
- FTC Brings First CRFA Cases
- GDPR-Style Consent
- FTC Financial Acts Enforcement Report
- FTC Warns About Warranty Claims
- Judge Deals Blow To FTC Jurisdiction
- Tech Support Scammers Settle
- New Agency Document Directive
- FTC COPPA Security Guidelines
- FTC MLM Guide
- Settlement With Victory Media
- FTC Reaffirms Focus Concrete Consumer Harm
- FTC Compliance Lawyer Alert
- Uber Settles FTC Allegations
- FTC Issues COPPA Compliance Update
- Non-Competition Restrictive Covenants
- BBB Launches Tool For Deceptive Ads
- Russian Intelligence Officers Charged
- Forces Combine To Police Influencers
- FTC Settles With Lead Generators
- FTC Core Mission
- Tech Reseller Ruling
- FTC Announces Third Privacycon
- Online Compliance
- Internet Privacy Rules
- The FTC And Made In USA Claims
- Online Advertising Disclosure
- Online Lead Generation Law
- DMCA Deadline Approaching
- FTC Releases 2017 Annual Highlights
- FTC Enforcing Mail Order Rule
- Payment Processor Sued By CFPB
- FTC Targets Payment Processing
- Overseas Payment Processor Settlement
- FDA Warns CBD Advertisers
- Congress Introduces Data Privacy Acts
- FTC Challenges Disease Treatment Claims
- Latest FTC Privacy Happenings
- Email Management Service Settles With FTC
- Marijuana And CBD Legal Update
- Why App Stores Are Removing Dating Apps
- FTC Continues Assault On Free Trial Offers
- Recent Data Privacy Developments
- Beware Of Free Trial Offers
- FTC Drops Hammer On Another Supplement Marketer
- Changes To Commercial Email Advertising
- FTC And FDA Issue Vape Warning Letters
- FTC Updates Guidance Influencers Marketers
- Another Huge Lead Generator Fine