How Affluent Shoppers Buy Luxury Goods Online
How do wealthy shoppers research and buy luxury goods on the internet? At the end of 2013 Google teamed up with Ipsos* to study how affluent consumers shop for high-end fashion, accessories, and jewelry. While this research covers only one broad niche the buyer behavior is similar across the board. And even though this research is over two years old it will give you relevant insight into their buyer methodology that continues today.
What the study found, among other things, is that luxury buyers are very digital-savvy:
- Most are multi-screen users
- They use the internet more than any other medium for research
- While they still make most of their purchases in a store the percentage of online purchases is rapidly rising
*Ipsos is a global market research company with worldwide headquarters in Paris, France.
What You’ll Learn In This Study
- Who are America’s affluent luxury fashion shoppers?
- Why do they buy? What factors are important to them?
- What are they buying?
- How much do they spend?
- Why the internet is the affluent shopper’s constant companion
- How many devices they use compared to other shoppers
- How they do their homework
- How many screens they use in their research
- How they go online, even when they are “offline”
- How many luxury purchases are made after both online and offline research
- How they view brand loyalty and when they buy direct
- How many luxury purchases happen online compared to offline (since this report its much higher!)
- What they like about online convenience and flexibility
- How many purchases are still done in stores (this % has gone up as well since 2013)
- How immersive online formats can help you bridge this gap
- What this means for affiliate and internet marketers
- The methodology used in this study
This report is free to view.