Everything You Should Know About Affiliate Marketing On Instagram
Affiliate marketing is quite profitable in general, but it is can prove especially beneficial for brands and influencers when done through Instagram. By connecting your follower base with the company or the product this company wants to sell, you can earn commissions from every sale that was made through your individual link you give your followers. Here is everything you should know about affiliate marketing on Instagram.
Benefits of Affiliate Marketing on Instagram for Brands
Of course, you already know how profitable affiliate marketing is for influencers, but it is also important to mention its benefits for brands looking to engage in affiliate relationships:
- Increased Brand Awareness: Brands will get more exposure with the help of affiliate marketers. This will also increase brand awareness as brands will often be tagged in posts and Stories by affiliate marketers.
- Improved Engagement & Bigger Following: Once someone goes to the brand’s profile or to the brand’s website, there is a much bigger chance that this brand will see its engagement levels rise. Moreover, the brand’s follower base will grow too.
- New Relationships: Building new relationships with bloggers and influencers is also very important for brands as this opens more and more opportunities both for brands and for the influencers.
- Increased Revenue: Word of mouth marketing can increase the conversion rate of up to 4.5% and is incredibly effective. Brands will definitely see an increase in revenue as affiliate marketing is closely linked with word of mouth promotion.
Who Will Succeed on Instagram?
It is true that you must keep in mind some factors that will influence your success as an affiliate marketer on Instagram. Here are the top three characteristics your profile must possess:
- Brand Value: Both your profile (whether you are an influencer or a brand looking to promote other brands and their products) and the product or brand you are promoting should have value. You must be trusted by your followers. Likewise, the product or brand you are promoting must have a good reputation.
- “Good” Following: A “good” following is one that is not made up of bots or paid followers. A good place to start from is 5,000-15,000 followers, but even a smaller dedicated follower base can be effective. As long as you get at least 100 likes on your posts consistently and your followers engage with your content, you can be sure that you have a good chance at affiliate marketing.
- Relevancy: Last but not least, the product you choose to promote must be relevant to your followers. If you are an influencer connected to makeup, then you should probably choose products for personal care and, well, makeup.
Translating Content for More Exposure
Before we get into the process itself, it is important to mention a tactic that you can benefit from in order to increase your exposure and subsequently the number of your followers. Instead of only producing content in English, consider translating it to other languages with the help of an online translation service such as The Word Point. You will be able to reach multilingual audiences and then become a better affiliate marketer.
Creating a New Profile or Transitioning
As an affiliate marketer, you have two options available to you: create a new profile or transition from your usual user profile to an affiliate marketing one. To create a good Instagram profile, consider such things:
- Username: Choose a username that will be easily found by your followers when they want to find you or tag you. If you want one username for all your social media accounts, you can check its availability across platforms with the help of Check Usernames.
- Profile Picture & Bio: Use your profile picture and bio to reflect what you or your brand stands for. You have a limit of 150 characters, so use them wisely.
- Privacy Setting: Make sure that you have a public account so that you can be discovered easily and don’t have to approve every follower.
- Captioning, Tagging, & Geo-Tagging: Write great captions, include tags and include your location in some posts.
If you decided to transition from being a usual Instagram user to an affiliate marketer, then you will probably have to increase your following count. Use hashtags in your posts, host giveaways and contests, make sponsored posts and be patient. It will take some time in any case.
Promoting Links on Instagram
Unlike on other social media platforms, Instagram doesn’t enable you to link to external websites in your post captions. This means that you have only several options when it comes to including your affiliate link:
- Link In Bio: The most obvious option is including a link in your bio. This can be either permanent or semi-permanent depending on the purpose. If you are collaborating only with one brand, then this is probably the best option for you as you can include only one link in your bio.
- Linkable Instagram Gallery App: A linkable Instagram Gallery App such as Linkin.bio allows you to have a personal gallery that has links from all of your posts. The link to your gallery can be included in your bio for your followers to get access to it.
- Link In Stories With Swipe-Up: Unfortunately, this option is only available to accounts that have over 10,000 followers. The Swipe-Up feature allows your followers to swipe up on your stories to go to an external page or an Instagram profile you link.
- Shortened Link: This is the riskiest option as not all of your followers will be willing to use it. You can use a URL shortener such as Bl.ink to shorten your link and allow your followers to type it in by themselves in an external browser.
Popular Affiliate Marketing Marketplaces
Now that you know all of the ins and outs of affiliate marketing on Instagram, you need to get in touch with brands who want to have their products promoted with your help. Here are some popular affiliate marketing marketplaces to get in touch with them:
Understanding the FTC Laws
When you are an affiliate marketer, you must remember to inform your audience about the fact that you are one. When you are promoting a product or brand, don’t forget to include the #ad tag in the caption that is easily noticeable.
In conclusion, affiliate marketing on Instagram can be very effective. If you are already an established user with a few thousand followers on the platform, you can start earning some good money from this. Follow the tips in this article and make the most out of affiliate marketing on Instagram.
Guest post by Frank Hamilton